Professional Proofreading Services
Professional, reliable and affordable proofreading services to correct and improve your book, document or website content.
★ How I Can Help ★
If you write books, documents or online content, I will ensure your text is free from spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes. I also provide suggestions to help improve flow, word usage, clarity and conciseness.
All clients receive a professional, thorough and efficient service with updates on progress and clear comments on amended text.
Finding a reliable, thorough and experienced proofreader can be a daunting process, but I have an established track record and will correct and improve your writing so you can publish/submit with confidence.
✔ Blog posts
✔ Business agreements
✔ Business communications
✔ Children's books
✔ CVs and cover letters
✔ Email marketing campaigns
✔ Fiction novels
✔ Information guides
✔ Information leaflets
✔ Job applications
✔ Marketing material
✔ Non-fiction books
✔ Promotional material
✔ Short stories
★ About me ★
I'm Alex, an experienced freelance proofreader for authors, writers, website owners, businesses and job applicants.
I'm fully trained through the College of Media and Publishing where I qualified with distinction. Freelance since 2013, I have many returning clients and pride myself on the quality of my work, adapting to each remit and meeting deadlines.
I work within the time frame set for each project, I offer competitive rates and I ensure a thorough service with meticulous attention to detail.
100% confidentiality is guaranteed. All work is carried out by myself and is not subcontracted or passed on to third parties.
★ What My Clients Say ★
"It is my great pleasure to recommend Alex, an exceptionally thorough proof reader with an eye for detail. Her advice helped me to better present my skills and experience and to apply for jobs with more confidence. Alex is also a lovely person, and was able to provide a professional service in a timely manner."
"Thanks for being an amazing proofreader and for your professionalism, your speed reading and your lovely comments!"
"Great Service, very astute, very knowledgeable and punctual. Will use again."
"Thank you for your excellent fast editing service. I'm very happy with your work, and I will bring all my editing needs to you from now on."
"Thanks Alex, I appreciate the detail and effort you put into our websites. Quick to respond and start and very thorough. Would work with Alex again any day. "
★ Why Use a Proofreader? ★
It's difficult to notice mistakes in your own writing because you read what you expect to see. I will ensure your book, document or website content is polished and error-free – no job is too large or too small.
✔ I correct spelling mistakes and typos, punctuation and grammar errors
✔ Ensure consistency of tense, hyphenation and capitalisation
✔ Amend subject–verb agreement
✔ Edit dialogue punctuation as appropriate
✔ Provide suggestions to improve flow and quality of wording
✔ Provide suggestions to improve clarity and conciseness
★ Proofreading Rates ★
Please contact me for a personalised quote for more than 10,000 words.
I accept payment by PayPal account, or by debit card or credit card where payments are processed securely via PayPal (no account needed). Acceptance of my terms and conditions is required for all orders.
Professional Proofreading Services – Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions apply to books, documents and online text for proofreading, editing and formatting. Please contact me if you have any questions or need any clarification regarding the process or requirements of both parties.
Services provided by www.proofreadingserviceuk.com:
• I provide clear instructions when correcting errors or making improvements, but it is the client's responsibility whether these changes are accepted.
• I only proofread and edit using UK English on all projects supplied to me.
• I endeavour to provide a complete and accurate service for each project submitted to me; however, I cannot guarantee a 100% error-free document. It is the client’s responsibility to review the completed work.
• Errors or discrepancies in the punctuation, grammar or spelling will be rectified if found within 4 days of receipt for projects less than 5000 words or within 14 days for higher word counts. Any other changes will be classed as out of scope and charged at an hourly rate to amend.
• If the client makes further changes or additions to the proofread/edited text and this results in further errors or discrepancies, or more text to proofread/edit, these will be classed as out of scope and an hourly rate will be charged to amend/work through.
• I reserve the right to charge an additional fee or cancel my services if there is a change to the original order due to the client sending me a rewritten/reworked version to proofread/edit/format instead. This applies whether I have started work on the project or not, and if the client sends a completely new version or revised sections/parts thereof.
• I reserve the right to decline work containing plagiarised content, or if it is deemed obscene, inflammatory, illegal or otherwise offensive.
• I accept no liability for any legal action arising from factual inaccuracy or defamatory information in any project I work on.
• I am not liable for any losses, of any kind, resulting from missed errors or any advice provided. I am not liable for any consequential, indirect or special loss/damage. I will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of any event(s) beyond my reasonable control.
• The client is ultimately responsible for his or her own work. While I will endeavour to point out any particular issues, such as legalities, the client is responsible for ensuring the book, document or online content is appropriate for publication or submission.
• The client is ultimately responsible for the content and how it is used. I am not responsible for any changes made after I return the amended content, nor do I guarantee it will be accepted for publication, receive favourable reviews, gain a high/pass grade, etc.
• It is the client's responsibility to state if a particular style guide/referencing style is required.
• I have the right to either change the date I will return the work or decline the project if there is a delay in the client sending through the work than originally agreed.
• If the client supplies a sample of work for me to base my quotation on but the complete text is of a much poorer standard, I may either adjust the quote accordingly or decline the work.
After the project is completed:
• All clients are required to fill in a sign-off form. Failure to return the form within 4 days of receipt for projects less than 5000 words or within 14 days for higher word counts will be regarded as acceptance of the proofread/edited/formatted project as provided.
• I may use the client’s name, book or website in my promotional/marketing material unless the client requests otherwise.
• I may use written testimonials, feedback or comments made by the client in my promotional/marketing material unless the client requests otherwise.
• The client is required to ask beforehand if he or she would like to acknowledge my services in their work. Unauthorised use of my name or services in any book, document or online content is prohibited.
• I accept payment by client’s PayPal account.
• Also by debit card or credit card, which are processed securely via PayPal (no account needed).
• For Individuals: payment is required in advance of the work commencing and within 48 hours of receiving the payment request/invoice.
• For companies/organisations: payment is required within 30 days of the invoice date.
• Late payments will incur interest charges in accordance with the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (incorporating the 2002 and 2013 amendments). I reserve the right to charge a debt recovery fee of £40 as detailed under the 2002 legislation.
• I am a signatory to the Pay on Time code of practice and support the Better Payment Practice Code.
• Although I only accept material written in English, payment is accepted if the client lives outside the UK. All payments are required in UK sterling and a 4% charge is applied when receiving funds from outside the UK.
• I reserve the right to charge the full final cost if the client cancels an order after I have completed more than 50% of the project. If I have completed less than 50% of the project, I reserve the right to charge half the final cost. The full cost is required if under £25.
• If an order has been placed but work hasn't commenced, I reserve the right to charge a cancellation fee equivalent to 25%, or the full cost if under £25.
• If the client experiences an unexpected difficulty or force majeure that results in a delay or cancellation of payment, please contact me in the first instance to discuss how to proceed.
• If I experience an unexpected difficulty or force majeure that results in a delay in commencement of the work or progress, I will contact the client in the first instance to discuss an amended timeframe or offer to find an alternative editorial service.
Further information on service charges:
• Requests with an urgent deadline or short turnaround time that covers evenings/weekends/bank holidays may be charged at a higher rate and will be advised on an individual basis.
• I may request a non-refundable 20% deposit to secure services booked in advance (minimum deposit charge is £25 or the full amount if the cost is below this amount).
• I am not VAT registered and don't charge VAT for my editorial services.
Please contact me if you have any questions or need any clarification regarding the process or requirements of both parties.
General overview of policy:
• No editorial projects are subcontracted, discussed with anyone else or passed on to a third party unless I have the client’s consent or am required to do so for legal reasons.
• I may apply changes to this policy without prior notice. This page is available at all times for reference.
Information I collect:
• I may keep a record of any correspondence if I am contacted with regards to my editorial services. This includes general queries, requests for quotes or checking my availability.
• Names, email addresses and details of projects provided on my contact form submitted via this website.
What happens with the information collected:
• I may keep details such as contact information. Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, you may view your records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
There are certain instances when personal details may be used:
• To process an order.
• To send out information, details of offers and changes/updates to services.
• To help improve my services, website and marketing.
• To address customer support related issues.
• To receive testimonials.
• You are under no obligation to receive these communications and you can opt out at any time by using the contact form on this site or via email.
• I may disclose information provided to me through my website or via email if I receive a request for information mandated by law or in response to a legal process.
All payments are processed using external financial institutions: PayPal or the client’s bank. I do not collect, or have access to, any financial information from my clients through this website.
Security for personal information:
I use a website hosting service that has security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information. However, data sent electronically via this website, as with any other internet site, can be intercepted; therefore, any information sent to me is at the sender’s own risk.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. It is a tool that allows the behaviour of users on a website to be analysed and helps a website owner to provide the best user experience. Google Analytics generates cookies (text files placed on your computer) that identify whether you've visited the website before and which pages you visit. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. These cookies cannot be used to identify individuals; they are used for statistical purposes only.
Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf.
Some cookies on this site are essential, and the site won't work as expected without them. These cookies are set when you interact with the site by doing something that goes beyond clicking on simple links. I also use some non-essential cookies to anonymously track visitors or enhance your experience of the site. If you're not happy with this, I won't set these cookies but some nice features of the site may be unavailable. To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings.
Other websites/third party websites:
By visiting this website and placing an order, you are consenting to the use of your information for the purposes detailed above.